Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Why My Love Affair With The Metrolink May Have Just Ended

I admit it, I've had a love affair with the St. Louis Metrolink. But lately, I think the relationship has been rather one-sided. After a trip this weekend to DC, and cavorting with the mass transit there, I am going to update my relationship status on facebook to 'single'

Despite the difficulties posed by the Grand Metrolink station (the closest to our spot), I have made an effort, even when not economically prudent, to take St. Louis' half-massed light rail system.

I even planned events that centered around taking the Metro.

This past weekend, I had to rush to the airport Saturday morning to catch a flight to DC for PLP's Global Beit Midrash. I had my roommate drive me to the Central West End Metro stop in my car (why I didn't have him just take me to the airport....), and thought I'd be all set.

I pulled out my semester pass, only to find it had expired 10 days before and was dismayed to find that I couldn't use a credit or debit card to purchase a ticket. Not only that, there wasn't an ATM near by.

So here I am, stranded on this cold morning at the Metro station, without the ability to buy a ticket, and with a newly expired pass.

To make a reasonable-length story palatable for consumers of tinyurl, I was given a citation for riding the train without a ticket.

Ok, I deserved that, right? Now flash forward to DC.

I get on the train from the airport without any problems because I can dip my plastic purchasing power. No risk of a citation, because I can't even get onto the train without having a ticket (or some hops).

All weekend this continues, dip the card, take the train, ride the emotional roller coaster, etc.

Now that I'm back, I'm having a dilemma. I've been treated poorly, and have seen the greener pastures, but I don't want to give up on the idea of functional public transit in STL.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got one of those citations tonight, not a happy camper.